About Me

My photo
I was born and brought up in Kota Bahru,Kel,Malaysia From a very young age I was very interested in cooking. My sisters were all married by the time I was ten it fell on me to help my mother to do the household chores. Slowly I started cooking. After doing our household chores I go and help our neighbour Mok Wan who happened to be a kuih seller, helping her with the task of grinding rice, beating eggs, peeling onions and packing the kuihs usually fell on me for just 20 cents. Mok Wan was very good in making all those traditional Kelantanese kuih whicn are known for their variety and distinct taste. It was she who give me the best lessons in Malay culinary arts. It have been years since she passed away but her art of making kuih is still with me. It was my mother who gave me the lessons in Indian culinary arts, I helped her cook, learning all the time without realising it. Every time when I cook for my friends, the first thing they ask me is "Did you learn cooking?" Far from protesting vehemently that I was self-taught, I must admit I that I gained my knowledge of cooking partly from my family, partly from helping people who are masters of their arts and partly from cookery books.

About the cuisine

Our food is a delicious blend of flavours coming from the Malays,Chinese,India and indigenous communities living in Malaysia

Sunday, March 23, 2014

VEGETARIAN MUTTON VARUVAL

 
 
VEGETARIAN MUTTON VARUVAL
 
500 gm vegetarian mutton,sliced into 2
 
400 gm potatoes , cut into cubes,and fried until cooked.
 
160 gm tomato,chopped
 
2 tbsp. ginger & garlic paste
 
4 tbsp meat curry powder
 
2 tsp garam masala
 
2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
 
A few coriander leaves,chopped
 
2 cup water
 
Salt if needed
 
For tempering:
 
1 big onion,sliced finely
 
5-6 dry chili,broken into 2
 
4 star anise
 
2 stick cinnamon
 
3-4 stalk curry leaves
 
8 tbsp oil 
 
1. Heat the oil and add in the tempring ingredients and fry until the onions turn light brown. Add in the garlic ginger paste and fry until the raw smell disappear.
 
2. Add in the tomatoes and stir well add in the curry powder and oyster sauce. Stir well  with a little water until the oil rise. Add in the water and let it came to a boil and let it becames a bit thick. Check the salt if needed add.
 
3. Add in the  mutton,potatoes and coriander leaves and stir fry until dry. 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


7 comments:

  1. Do we need to deep fry the vegetarian mutton first? guess it will be more dry varuval... lovely dish. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did't fry the mutton because I don't want it to be too oily...you can if you want too. thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the recipe. I did this yesterday and it turned out really well. I pan fried the potatoes and the vegetarian mutton before adding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't sure what exactly is vegetarian mutton Initially I confused it with fake mutton because I am careful with the ingredients since some of these synthetic meat passed off as real meat maybe highly toxic

    However I am glad to know from the food ingredients declared there are actually made from soy protein, and mushrooms..

    Now that I know the chemical and food composition of the vegetarian mutton, chicken or prawn I feel safe especially not only they spell out the food ingredients these vegetarian meat are made, they didn't say they were real mutton but clearly stated they were vegetarian meat (mutton, chicken or prawns) made with the food ingredients stated

    I really must congratulate the manufacturers of these vegetarian products that made them taste almost like the real mutton, fish, prawns or other meat products

    In fact they are so good that organoleptically their look, texture, color, taste, etc are almost exactly the same as mutton especially when masked by the heavy spices of curry dishes.

    They really taste good but most importantly they are safe to consume


    Incidentally I am a Chinese who likes Indian curry very much, more than Chinese food You must be suprised



    Lim Ju Boo BSc (Chemistry) Post-Grad Dip Nutri MSc (Food QC) MD PhD FRSPH FRSM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't sure what exactly is vegetarian mutton Initially I confused it with fake mutton because I am careful with the ingredients since some of these synthetic meat passed off as real meat maybe highly toxic

    However I am glad to know from the food ingredients declared there are actually made from soy protein, and mushrooms..

    Now that I know the chemical and food composition of the vegetarian mutton, chicken or prawn I feel safe especially not only they spell out the food ingredients these vegetarian meat are made, they didn't say they were real mutton but clearly stated they were vegetarian meat (mutton, chicken or prawns) made with the food ingredients stated

    I really must congratulate the manufacturers of these vegetarian products that made them taste almost like the real mutton, fish, prawns or other meat products

    In fact they are so good that organoleptically their look, texture, color, taste, etc are almost exactly the same as mutton especially when masked by the heavy spices of curry dishes.

    They really taste good but most importantly they are safe to consume


    Incidentally I am a Chinese who likes Indian curry very much, more than Chinese food You must be suprised



    Lim Ju Boo BSc (Chemistry) Post-Grad Dip Nutri MSc (Food QC) MD PhD FRSPH FRSM

    ReplyDelete